ALOR STAR: Parti Pribumi Bersatu Malaysia (PPBM) Youth chief Syed Saddiq Syed Abdul Rahman has been challenged to lodge a report with the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) over his claim that he was offered a ‘RM5 million bribe.’
In issuing the dare, Kedah Umno Youth chief Datuk Shaiful Hazizy Zainol Abidin said Syed Saddiq’s claim of being offered an inducement, and that his family has received "threats" by certain quarters, is very serious.
He said Kedah Umno Youth feels the claims should be swiftly investigated and that the identity of whoever is behind the alleged bribe offer and threats should be made public immediately.
"Syed Saddiq should have reported (the matter) to the MACC (so) that the truth could be revealed. But until today, he has yet to do so," Shaiful said in a statement here on Friday.
As such, Shaiful is calling on Syed Saddiq to "end the drama" that he had started.
"We are also interested in Syed Saddiq’s claim that there is a "systematic 'dedak' network" which offers bribes and buys over PPBM leaders, and that the "network" is linked to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak.
"To us, this is an irresponsible statement and he must prove the allegation to the authorities," he said.
Shaiful also questioned the PPBM’s top leadership's silence over Syed Saddiq’s claims and why they have yet to step forward to defend him.
Last week, Syed Saddiq alleged that he was offered a RM5 million bribe and that his family received “threats” by certain quarters, apparently over his involvement in politics.
He was reported as saying that he will consult with his lawyer before lodging a report with the MACC.
Syed Saddiq also announced that he had decided to remain active in politics instead of furthering his studies at Oxford University, England, despite being offered a RM400,000 scholarship by the university and other related bodies.