JOHOR BARU: Four operating theatres (OTs) at the Sultanah Aminah Hospital were temporarily closed after a machine sealer caught fire at a nearby packing room yesterday afternoon.
State Health, Environment, Education and Information Committee chairman Datuk Ayub Rahmat said the closing of the OTs was a precautionary measure.
“The incident occurred at about 3.50pm when a nurse noticed sparks coming out of the machine.
“Immediate action to put out the fire was taken according to the standard operating procedure and the fire was quickly put under control.
“No other area or machines were affected by the fire,” said Ayub today.
A machine sealer is used to pack surgical instruments before they are sent to the Central Sterile Service Unit for sterilisation.
Ayub said the Fire and Rescue Department was called in to ensure the area’s safety and to conduct an investigation into the fire.
“The firemen arrived at 4pm and advised us to quarantine the area until further investigations are completed.”
Ayub said all scheduled surgical procedures were carried out at other OTs.
“The affected OTs were opened for operations this morning,” said Ayub.